A common SharePoint use case: As the administrator, you want to empower your site and site collection owners to run their own reports and/or actions using ControlPoint. This will help them manage their SharePoint sites to greater effect. However, as is often the case, you might want to trim the functionality these site owners can see and use. Allowing site owners to change SharePoint permissions and configuration settings can lead to fractured, non-uniform sites that break internal SharePoint governance policies.
Using ControlPoint, you can create custom menus for different groups of users based on the functionality and reports they need to better manage their sites:
Step one: Use the ControlPoint Menu Maintenance user interface to create a custom menu based on an existing template. These menus can be created at any level in the SharePoint farm hierarchy.
Step two: Create a SharePoint Group with Read access in the ControlPoint Configuration Site and add the users directly to this group.
Step three: In the Axceler Menu List, find the newly created menu and assign read access to the SharePoint group created in step two. Remove their permissions to any other menus.
Now when users from that SharePoint group log in, they will see a security trimmed menu of reports and functionality. This will increase their productivity as they see only functionality they need and at the same time you will reduce the risks of users breaking your governance policies. For more information on this award-winning platform, you can find the datasheet here, or sign up for a live webinar here.
Join Microsoft SharePoint Technology Specialist Chris Bortlik to learn how to take your SharePoint governance to the next level.
- Why governance is important
- Why you need a solid SharePoint information architecture
- Why it’s important to consider inheritance
- How to use content types
- How retention policies can be applied
- The concepts around SharePoint security management (Activity Directory groups, SharePoint groups)
- How Microsoft enables self-service and information classification for collaboration sites
As an added bonus, you’ll get to see a short demonstration of the “Best SharePoint Product” of 2011 and the Community Choice award-winner, Axceler ControlPoint. ControlPoint can help you enforce your SharePoint governance policies and gives you the ability to explore, protect, analyze and control SharePoint.
Tuesday November 29th, 2:00pm - 3:00pm (EST) Register Now.
No rest for the weary at Axceler. I will be on the road again this upcoming week heading to Amsterdam for SharePoint Connections. While I won't be running any marathons before my flight, I will be bringing with me the news that Axceler completed the "hat trick" winning
2011 Best of Connections: Winner – SharePoint Product
2011 Windows IT Pro Editors’ Best Award: Gold – SharePoint Category
2011 SharePoint Community Choice Award: Bronze – SharePoint Category
Here in the States many are gearing up for a day of Thanks but at Axceler we are spreading our Thanks around the world to the wonderful SharePoint Community that has recognized our commitment to delivering products that provide the most value to the SharePoint platform.
Time to sign off and join my colleagues here as we make a toast to these and future award wins.
Marketing Events Manager
Eager to upgrade to Microsoft SharePoint 2010 but afraid of a long process or breaking something in the move? Davinci Migrator for SharePoint 2010 reduces risk, lowers the cost, and shortens the time necessary for SharePoint migration.
Join us on this webinar to learn about the benefits of Davinci Migrator, including how to:
- Discover problems with your SharePoint portal before you migrate
- Build realistic schedules based on migration estimates
- Migrate in one big wave or a series of smaller waves – depending on your schedule
- Enable the migration of out-of-the-box and SharePoint Designer workflows, as well as custom workflows built with Nintex Workflow
- Query your legacy portal using drag-and-drop, SQL, or a Query-by-Example interface, and create batched SharePoint migrations
- And finish your migration before your deadlines
We hope you can join us for this informative webinar that will show how Davinci Migrator for SharePoint 2010 offers comprehensive, risk-based control when moving to the latest SharePoint platform, allowing users to discover, transform, iterate, and control migration activities.
Date/Time: Today (Thursday, November 17, 2011) 2:00PM - 3:00PM EST
A common SharePoint use case: As SharePoint adoption spreads, many organizations are looking out across the enterprise and finding many groups with their own SharePoint instances. Some of these instances may be full-fledged production systems, while others were installed and are being supported by non-IT teams who needed a unique and customized solution, and then went ahead and installed Windows SharePoint Services. As organizations look at migrating to 2010, they find themselves sorting through these disparate systems, looking for a way to organize and consolidate these sites and data into one environment.
Using Davinci Migrator, an administrator can view content from across these disparate systems and both organize and aggregate sites and data using a familiar interface -- but with more granular planning capability than competing platforms.
Step 1: Within the 'Plan' tab in Davinci, you can easily create a new migration set -- which contains the source sites to be migrated, and the destination sites to which you will migrate. Simply double-click on the left navigation to find the 2007 sites to be migrated, selecting individual sites, or right click to open the context menu and additional selection options.
Step 2: Now select your destination site collection on the right navigation, and click Add to add the source sites and destinations to the migration set below.
Step 3: You can then open a 2003 environment, navigate to the sites to be migrated, select the sites and destination site collection, and click Add.
Once added to the table below, you simply save the migration set and move to the 'Migrate' tab to set your rules and filters, then schedule your migration.
Davinci provides very granular control over your migrations from 2003, 2007, WSS 2.0 and WSS 3.0 environments to SharePoint 2010 or Foundation, allowing you to work with individuals, teams, or business units to organize and orchestrate their migrations, each with their own priorities and unique requirements. At the end of the day, if your end users are not happy with the end result, your migration was not successful. With more control over your migration, you can reduce the risks inherent in the process, and optimize the end user experience.
For more information on the Davinci Migrator for SharePoint 2010, you can review the datasheet here, or request a formal demo here.
Microsoft SharePoint migration is a growing concern in many organizations. How will you, as a SharePoint farm administrator, be able to securely and efficiently move your 2003 or 2007 environment to SharePoint 2010? If you are an administrator for SharePoint, this is an essential kit to help you with your SharePoint migration. And best of all, it's FREE.
Learn how to best move your 2003 or 2007 SharePoint environment to SharePoint 2010.
The SharePoint Migration Kit contains:
- Free application: SharePoint application that scans your SharePoint 2007 environment to tell you how ready you are to upgrade to SharePoint 2010
- Video: Interview with Axceler's development team on the three main steps for effective SharePoint migration: Discovery, Planning, and Migration
- Video: SharePoint Migration tips with Davinci Migrator for SharePoint 2010
- Exclusive Report: Five Essential Steps for Mastering SharePoint Migration Planning
- Report: Determining Your SharePoint Architecture: Centralized or Decentralized?
- Report: When and How to Include End Users in SharePoint Migration Planning
- Report: 11 Strategic Considerations for SharePoint Migration
- Report: The Insider's Guide to Upgrading to SharePoint 2010
- Data Sheet: Overview of award-winning SharePoint migration product, Davinci
- Data Sheet: Overview of FileLoader 2010 to securely move files from folders into SharePoint